Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Spotting of an Ex

I saw you today. With your new family. What did you think when you caught a glimpse of me? Were you taken back to a moment in time when I used to be yours? Did your breath catch in your throat for a second as you recalled any one of a thousand secret intimate moments we shared together? I bet she doesn't know my name or anything about me. I'm sure you've managed to keep so much of me locked away in your memories - a safe place where no one would ever go. Do I float into your thoughts when certain songs play on your radio? Or when you view certain shows we would watch together on our 'date nights'? I wonder.....


What I thought when I saw you....very simple. There is someone I used to love to the point of madness. Someone I believed I could not breathe without, a person who I would surely die and melt away should he find another. Well, I didn't die, I didn't even shudder when the news was passed along to me. I didn't shed a tear for you. I merely said "well, that's nice". Bet you didn't know I had more strength than you ever imagined. That I was able to move past you, to function in a way I never imagined was possible. In fact, today I simply thought "I hope he's found happiness." And then I went about my day and dismissed even seeing you. Sometimes it is just that easy to let go....

No comments:

Post a Comment